Thursday, October 9, 2008

Dinner in the Closet

I wonder if sleepwalking is genetic? Because I remember waking up several times as a little boy staring at the blank tv screen in the middle of the night or with my nose an inch from the front door or apparantly knocking on my parents bedroom door.

A couple of nights ago Aidyn woke me up at 3:00am with a terror-sounding cry. So I got up to go see what the problem was. On my way I turned the bathroom light on so it wouldn't be too bright when I opened the door. I went into Aidyn's room and knelt by her bed and asked, "Aidyn, what's wrong?"

In the dark I reached out to her bed to make sure she was covered and comfort her only to feel empty blankets and teddy bears. Knowing she had to be somewhere in her room, I looked around and said, "Aidyn, where are you?"

Then I heard a whimper from the closet in the corner of her room where we keep a bunch of her toys. She loves playing in the closet because the folding door is fun to open and close and it's full of her toys! So I went to the closet and opened the folding door and as soon as I opened it, Aidyn came out of the darkness with her arms outstretched toward me.

Taking her into my arms I asked her, "What are you doing in the closet, Aidyn?"

She replied: "Cause I just needed some dinner."

With a knowing smile I gave her a hug, placed her back under the covers, and she was asleep before I left the room. In the morning we asked her what she was doing in the closet and she replied, "I was just sleeping."

2 comments:

Sarah Jane said...

Well...if it is genetic...She may get it from both sides, because I used to sleep walk all the time. Ive, too, woken up in weird places doing odd things in my sleep...Thank God the incidences have become fewer as Ive gotten older.

sandlegirl81 said...

Me and Christian both sleep walk. It's terrible when he has to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night! I've caught him peeing in places that pee is not meant to be. Last night I caught him scooping water out of the toilet. EEEW!