Tuesday, August 3, 2010

God Questions

This week has been full of incredible opportunities to talk with Aidyn about God. She, of course, has heard lots about God at Sunday School, but I love when she asks questions. A few nights ago she had a meltdown at bedtime and then told me, "I feel really bad for the way I acted. I don't want to keep being nasty every day?" I gave her a simple explanation that she should ask God to help her not to be nasty and she prayed her own prayer, "Dear God, I'm sorry I was nasty and please help me not to be nasty anymore." Confession must really be good for the soul because she then went immediately to sleep.

This morning she must have been thinking about that talk because she started this conversation in the car:
Aidyn: "Mommy, why did God make us?"
Me: "Well, because He wanted to love us."
Aidyn: "How did God make us?"
Me: "The Bible says that God made the first man, what was his name?"
Aidyn: "ADAM!!"
Me: "Yes, that's right. God made Adam from the dust of the ground and then blew His own breath into Adam and made him come alive."
Aidyn: "Wow. That's a lot of breath." [quiet for a moment, then...] "When did God make Adam?"
Me: "A very very long time ago. And what day was it that God made Adam?"
Aidyn: "The seventh day? No, that was when God rested. The sixth day!"
Me: "Right."
Aidyn: "Well, why did God make us be nasty?"
Me: "Oh, sweetie, God did not make us to be nasty. He made us wonderfully and He said we were good!! But, let me tell you a story. Do you know what a serpent is?"
Aidyn: "A snake!"
Me: "Right, well there was a serpent who came into the garden where Adam and Eve lived..." I relayed the story of the first "nastiness" that there ever was, and Aidyn listened very carefully. Then...
Aidyn: "Oh. Well, how does God help us not be nasty anymore?"
Me: "Let me tell you another story. Do you remember what we celebrate at Christmas?"
Aidyn: "Jesus' birthday!"
Me: "Yes, that's right. And so when Jesus was born..." Then I relayed the story of Jesus and how He helps us not to be nasty anymore. Afterward she asked me to tell her another story about God so I told her about Noah and then Jonah.

It's so interesting and wonderful to watch God work in Aidyn's life. I look forward to more of her questions--but I hope I can figure out how to help her understand all that she wants and needs to know.

No comments: